09 March 2010

Random Ramblings...

Hello again friends! Another week, another week closer to more trips. Seriously though, the weeks seem to be just flying by here. It is finally March! Time for some warm weather. Right? Right?? So far, the weather has mostly been keeping us inside and close to home. I can't complain too much though... we seem to be fairing much better in the weather department than all our friends and family in Ohio.

But still, it's no fun exploring when you might lose a toe to frost bite. However, we haven't quite been shut-ins either. CJ has been taking me out on regular walks. A couple weeks ago we found a great little mountain not too far from our house (about a fifteen minute walk) with a ton of great trails at the top. And surprisingly, CJ has been able to coax me back up the mountain since. Although, this might have had something to do with my enthusiasm...



This was on a very nice and sunny day in Zurich. Here is a picture of CJ to prove that he was there too. I think he ordered wrong though...



By comparison, we have also had a little snow. The nice thing about weekend snow in Switzerland is that we can still hop on a train (beer in hand, of course) and get somewhere... Here we are braving the elements for a trip to the "mall."



It wasn't quite a real mall, but basically as close as I am going to get here. As you might have surmised by the pictures, I was in no way going to walk from shop to shop on Bahnhofstrasse in this weather. Luckily it seems that snow doesn't last very long in Zurich. Whew, because we all know what I think of the snow...

SNOW STINKS... right La?

La thinks so too!!


Annnnnnnyways, CJ and I have been trying to experience all Switzerland has to offer. Along these lines, I have ventured out to do something I have never done before... something out of my comfort zone... something I am not totally comfortable with and am morally opposed to on principle. Have I built this up enough yet? I/we went to a *gasp* club. I will pause while you all recover and catch your collective breaths.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am fundamentally opposed to having to PAY to get in somewhere where I will then have to PAY again for a beverage. I think this is a ludicrous concept, and believe that there can be no one that important inside (well except maybe a handful of people... h. islanders I am talking to you!) that I should have to pay to see. I know this was a rather long rant, but I feel strongly on the issue. Maybe it is just my hometown bias, but in Cleveland I would simply walk next door to a place where I wouldn't have to pay. However... to the club we went. We went with a group of friends; some were Swiss as well as a couple people from New York and L.A. who are used to paying to enter clubs. Consider it a social experiment. Clubs are very popular in Europe. I will however refrain from telling you what we paid... just know, it was too much $$$!

As I am already prejudice against clubs, it will come as no surprise that I haggled with the coat check woman (to no avail) because she would not hang our coats on the same hanger, thereby charging us twice. I also have a long history of haggling/fighting with cab drivers (again, check). CJ took the... what's a couple more francs at this point approach. But, I felt I needed a small victory. Although I don't think I will make clubbing a habit (there are too many other great little bars to try), I did have fun in the end. See for yourself:



In other news, and almost as shocking as me going to a club, I have been cooking. We all know that CJ is the better cook in the family. He is also the cook that enjoys cooking. Nonetheless, I have been giving it a solid attempt. I apologize because I keep meaning to take pictures of our meals (CJ thinks some of you may find this interesting), but I never remember until they're half gone. Some of the things I have been making include:

  • Homemade perogies (we made these together for Christmas)
  • Spanakopita (although I couldn't find the right philo)
  • Spinach and cheese cannelloni (stuffed myself, thank you very much)
  • Mexican (because I miss it sooooo much)
  • Lasagna with a homemade white sauce (CJ wanted white sauce - and I can be nice sometimes)
  • Pizzas and strombolis with homemade dough of course (nothing new here... but delicious as ever) -- Letting the dough rise for tonight's stromboli as I write.
Finally, an UPDATE on our summer trip home:

Pending final approval, we will be arriving in Cleveland on July 2nd and staying until July 24th! Everyone get excited. Start planning lots of fun things for us to do, because honestly, I am a little worried about how CJ is going to cope with so much free time. Doing nothing is definitely NOT his strong suit.

I have already been planning (in my head) where I cannot wait to go when we get home...

  1. Nuevo Acapulco - cadillac marg, I'm coming for you!
  2. Sushi (we have it here, but it's insanely expensive)
  3. Indian food
  4. CHIPOTLE - oh how I miss their salad...
Um, wow, these are all food places. Kinda sad...

And, I know CJ has one place on his mind... DOVER GARDENS. Let's hope they aired it out all winter. Also, truth be told, he secretly can't wait to relive this...

So, everyone has until July 2nd... that's July 2nd... to get ready for our arrival.

Please feel free to stock up on
(this) and...

(this)

Thank you. You are good friends. :)

2 comments:

  1. SO excited for the summer trip home and my favorite thing about the post...IF I had to pick one is your hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks. It is actually CJ's hat, but I constantly steal it because I am always cold!

    ReplyDelete