24 November 2009

All Kinds of Things...

Hello again everyone! I know it has been a couple weeks since I have written, and have been reminded of that over and over by CJ. But, for a while there wasn't a lot to tell...

As you all saw from the last post, we moved into our new apartment and started settling in. Two weekends ago we stayed close to home. Overall, the weather here has been kind of disappointing. We have been hearing stories of nearly 70 degree weather in Ohio (and I for one am going to pretend that you have all conspired to lie to us so that we would be jealous... it worked), but have not been so lucky here. Here it has been between mid-40s and (maybe) 60 and usually rainy.

I am progressing in my German lessons, but to be honest I am not too fond of German. It doesn't sound very pretty (more like you're constantly clearing your throat). But, I am starting to recognize some words when out and about, so maybe it will be helpful after all.

Last Friday CJ and I went to the U.S. Consulate in Zurich so that I could be sworn in as a new lawyer. Well, it was very under-whelming! Not only was one of the office ladies a real b!*$# (seriously, I think I could see her horns sprouting out of her hair - although the other woman was MUCH nicer), it was difficult to have to do something so special in such a mundane way. Oh well. I tried to remind myself that the important thing is that I passed and can now look forward to being a licensed attorney! And surreptitiously, I got a wonderful surprise in the mail from Mary the same day... a program from the actual ceremony in Columbus so that I could see my name listed! Thank you again Mare!

On Saturday we decided to spend what was supposed to be a (finally) beautiful day in Geneva. Even though it is A LOT like Zurich, I like Geneva. Mostly, and selfishly, because it is French speaking, and so I almost knew what was going on! We walked around the city for a bit exploring all the gorgeous buildings... but once again the weather let us down. Weather.com (those liars!) told us it was going to be 64 and sunny. Shockingly, it was 47 (burrrrr) and overcast with a great deal of fog. In those conditions (and having dressed for warmer weather) we didn't last long. CJ did manage to take some great pictures of the city before we left:





Cathedral of St-Pierre...



And the inside...



15th-century choir stalls

Rohan Chapel

Chapel of the Maccabees

A couple more shots of Geneva:





Although Geneva was kind of a bust, we weren't ready to go home quite yet. We stopped at the store to grab a bottle of wine and a snack (for me of course) and boarded the train for Bern. Even though Bern is the capital of Switzerland, it isn't all that big. But, like all of Europe, it has some beautiful buildings, and had much better weather:


CJ and a beautiful view!



Some parting shots...



Finally, it was time to go home... We quickly stopped at the store for another bottle of wine for the train ride home, and another snack (for me of course), and we were on our way! Besides how beautiful everything is here (or maybe still including it), one of my favorite things has to be all the WINES!! I love wine! And I especially love passing the time on the train with our own bottle! :)

The rest of the weekend we spend relaxing around home and in Oerlikon. Other things worth mentioning:

  • We booked our Christmas present... we are going to ROME right before the holiday!!! SOOOOO EXCITED!!! We are really looking forward to this trip, and having a week to explore such a wonderful city together!
  • We also decided when we will be coming home to Ohio. We will probably be flying in on about July 2nd and staying for two weeks! Mark your calendars everyone!! :)
  • I am also SO excited to finally be seeing NEW MOON this Friday!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhh I love Edward Cullen! And I love CJ for agreeing to see it with me!
  • This Saturday we are going to head out and find some Christmas decorations. Nothing extravagant, but I'm starting to get in the spirit. Also, Christmas Markets will also be open this weekend, so we are going to check those out. There are four Markets in Zurich alone, and so it should be a great way to get into the spirit - See How Awesome Here!!
  • Our building has finished fixing up on our storage space, so we can FINALLY get rid of the last of the boxes milling around our hallway. YEAH!
  • Lastly, don't forget to check out the rest of our pictures HERE!
And with that, you are all caught up on what we have been doing! We hope you all have a
Happy Thanksgiving
...
Eat lots of turkey for us!!

1 comment:

  1. AWWW! I love this post!

    First, I love your use of the word surreptitiously! I'm very impressed! And you are so welcome! It's the least I could do- I missed you so much and wish you could have been with me. It sucks you had a bad experience, but it will be worth it when you get your number!

    Second, those pictures are just gorgeous. I'm also partial to Geneva! Also because they speak French and because we have been there, please revisit that Castle!

    Third, so happy that your storage space is done! I couldn't stop laughing about the snacks and wine! And sucks about the weather! BOOO!

    Also I am about to pee my pants with excitement over this Christmas market--OMG OMG! SO JEALOUS!

    Lastly, good work with the pictures getting them side by side--isn't it such a pain!

    MISS AND LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete